Thursday, June 28, 2012

Indigo Herbalism… in the Beginning

Welcome to the site!! I am so excited to be starting this blog and to share my knowledge and experiences with all of you interested readers! I hope to get us a little warmed up by talking a little bit about myself, some of the content on the site, as well as what I will be blogging about.

I live in a lovely little casita with my partner and our baby girl Indigo. They are my everything. We are lucky enough to have found a place in the South Valley of Albuquerque where we can live in a community setting, moving towards sustainability. The community property/project is named appropriately, Indigo Gardens. Named after my little Indigo, who lights up the lives of everyone she meets, most especially the beautiful people we live with.


I love plants! I can hardly walk or even drive by a plant without trying to identify it or naming the medicinal properties I can remember in my head. This love affair started early, I would say it started by making mud pies or potions in my parent's backyard. What an amazing feeling it is to walk in that backyard and to name the plants I once played with. To know the Wild Mustard growing everywhere that I put in my "soups" is actually edible, or discovering the magickal mallow patch that grows in my mom's yard every year. I began to study herbs at a very young age, slowly at first. I read a few books and advised my pregnant family members with the information I gleaned (pregnancy was and still is one of my favorite subjects herbally and otherwise). Over the past few years my interest has gone from herbal hobbiest to full blown herbal student/practitioner. I have my partner to partially thank for that as he encouraged me to take some of my first official herbal classes.

Wild Mustard flower


As an herbalist, I provide many services to my community. I love to talk and teach about herbs, it is one of the huge motivators of this website. That and providing myself with some organization for some of my experiments. I offer many workshops and will be adding e-books as they come, as well as providing the free content available in the blog.

I also aim to make health attainable at home and in your garden. For this, I do personal consultations. Right now I am working on case studies and have a full client list, but by next year I will be expanding to help others not just in my community circle.

As I said before, this blog is here to both provide me with a sense of organization as well as to share and converse about knowledge and experiences I have. This would be technically an herbal blog, as I will be mostly talking about medicinal plants, but we will find as more posts come that we cover other topics like beekeeping, natural parenting, food or anything I feel is somewhat relevant.

For those of you who are visiting for the herbal content, I intend on writing one but possibly two herbs of the month to be archived conveniently for you here. In addition to that I will include, recipes, experiments, herbal actions, treating specific conditions and misc. herbal fun. I hope to have the e-book content available for purchase soon as well.

I encourage polite conversation in the comments section of my blog and I welcome constructive ideas about content or suggestions about blog topics. This will be a fun adventure and I look forward to connecting with many different virtual faces and hopefully actual faces over the course of this journey.

Green Blessings,
Kate


1 comment: